29 Mar 2013

The Shard, Ally Pally and forgetting to concentrate...

Well, this weekend, I am doing a bit of work on my London landmarks "collection". I haven't managed to get very far with it up til now. I'm going to France next weekend and I'm hoping there'll be lots of time to get my ideas down on paper seeing as there will be a whole collection of Kordels available to palm my children off on. I just have to get the ideas in my head first....
 
If you've had a look at my Facebook page then you may have seen the photos I put up a while back of my first London papercut. The idea wasn't really that difficult to come up with. For my Dad's birthday, my brother, sister and I bought him a ticket to go to the top of the Shard. So, I thought I would do a cutting of the Shard! I already had a photo of the view from when we last went into London, I just had to draw it and cut it.





My next London landmark in progress is Alexandra Palace. If you're not familiar with it (what, you mean you've never been to the Knitting and Stitching show / Darts / the Bonfire night German Beer Festival?!), it is quite a dominant landmark around the part of North London where I used to live. I remember a particularly scary New Year's Eve there about 5 or 6 years ago when we walked up to the top of the hill to try and see all the midnight fireworks from across London, but were instead treated to a group of drunk Polish blokes setting off rockets from their hands about two feet infront of us!!


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AlexandraPalace.jpg


It's quite spectacular. Anyway, earlier this week I started sketching out my Ally Pally creation. I spent ages on it! Here it is;


I had a great time getting all the details right, finding loads of photos of this lovely building and the beautiful window. However, I had sudden thought about an hour in. How on EARTH was I going to cut this out?! I'd been merrily scribbling away as if I'd been drawing for drawing's sake, forgetting that I need to cut the thing out. I usually try and pretend that my pencil is a knife so that I don't cut the bits I'm not meant to. Not this time for some reason, so I'll have to go over it again. Good job it's a long weekend......
 
Speaking of which, Happy Easter everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Wow these are fantastic - what other London landmarks are you going to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna.
      My next one is probably going to be the Hornsey Road Bridge in Archway.... Unless you travel on the A1 almost to the end, you probably won't have ever seen it!! Not really famous, one for myself really. My daughter was born round the corner from it :-)

      Delete